It’s been a while since I’ve written. I have had a lot of heavy trains of thought in that time. Daunting ones that would take a lot of time and energy to write about. Stuff like “time” and “energy”. Instead of doing that, I’m going to make a simple, little list of good habits I wish I could do better.
Good Habits I Suck At
- Break a sweat every day
- Meditate frequently
- Go for a walk
- Get out of bed early, and never snooze
- Making your bed in the morning
- Exercising in the morning
- Shutting off screens at least 2 hours before bed time
- Having a good, firm bedtime
- Eat vegetables every meal
- Practice an instrument
- Go for a bike ride
- Practice intentional gratitude
- Sketch things
- Follow a budget
- Read physical books
- Take online classes (and finish them)
- Go for a jog
- Get out of your comfort zone frequently
- Engage in polite conversation with strangers
- Call your mom, ask her how her day is going
- Leave your phone in a specific spot in your house, only use it if you go to that spot
- Clean up after yourself every place you go, everything you do, every time
- Take pride in your vehicle
- Always sleep on big purchase decisions
- Practice mental math
By the way - that picture is from the website Unsplash, which is a really really neat website. It’s basically a really great repository of actually good photos with a reuse license that basically just says “go nuts”. Carte Blanche. I really get behind it, as a concept. It’s a bit like open-source photography. Makes me want to get more into photography, actually. Seems like a good habit to get into… WAIT CONTINUATION OF MY LIST FROM ABOVE!
Top 5: Good Habits I’m Actually Don’t Suck At
- Cable cutting… I just never had it to begin with. So this is cheating.
- Keeping track of habits. I just fell into this one with my more broad goal to “keep track of life”. Also it’s not a perfect, exhaustive list of habits.
- Doing something creative every so often. Like this. Even if it’s not much.
- Sleeping consistently enough hours. The hours I do move around a lot, but I do usually get 7 contiguous hours, provided my child sleeps well enough.
- Talking with my spouse. A lot. About everything… I mean…. I think I’m good. I haven’t asked her opinion on the matter.
“HBL” = Heavy Breath Laugh……. because we don’t have LOL comedy.